Victoria Falls is located on the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia, forming part of the official border. The Victoria Falls township and majority of the major hotels are located on the Zimbabwe side of the falls, although Livingstone on the Zambian side is developing fast. The local currency here is USD so depending on current exchange rates Vic Falls can be very expensive.
Victoria Falls tours may be stand alone or incorporate other Zimbabwean attractions such as Hwange National Park and Lake Kariba/Matusadona National Park and Zambezi Canoe Safaris.
Major airlines travel directly to Victoria Falls daily from Johannesburg. Alternatively charter flights operate from Harare to Vic Falls, Hwange and Kariba.
Victoria Falls provides many interesting sights and activities for visitors including:
- Falls Tour – guided or unguided walking tours through the Zimbabwe side of the falls. The Zambian side can also be accessed but one needs to cross the border into Zambia. This is easily done but be aware that after being in Zambia travellers may be required show a current Yellow Fever vaccination to re-enter Southern Africa.
- Helicopter Flight over the falls.
- Elephant Back Safari – an absolute must. I wasn’t enthused by the idea but went along with a friend and I have to admit it was a very memorable experience.
- Zambezi Canoeing
- Whitewater Rafting – for the adventurous only, can be quite dangerous and not covered by travel insurance.
- Bungy Jumping/Gorge Swing
- Sunset Cruise – a relaxing evening cruise on the upper Zambezi.
- Horse Riding – a relaxing way to view game, athough game is a little limited in Zim these days.
Other Zimbabwe activities include:
- Zambezi Canoe Safari – tours on the mighty Zambezi, usually 3-5 days. Tours vary from basic camping to luxurious for those who prefer the creature comforts. A once in a lifetime experience, highly recommended.
- Hwange National Park – a world renowned park that is a not quite at its former glory, but good camps are still operating.
- Lake Kariba – encompassing the Matusadona National Park. This park is would not be ones first choice for game viewing as the game variety is somewhat limited by its geography. However, Lake Kariba is a stunning destination and the bush camps provide basic to luxury accommodation in a an outstanding wilderness area. Also the favoured location for seasonal Tiger fishing. Famous for its sunsets.